Over the last four decades, it has been extensively studied and it is currently approved in over 100 countries. Although it is often used by healthy individuals searching for safe and mild cognitive improvement, it is mostly prescribed to older patients, children and adults to relieve the following symptoms:
- Symptomatic treatment of various memory disorders
- Psychoorganic syndrome with asthenia.
- Alcoholic psychoorganic syndrome
- Treatment-resistant depressions
- Many other conditions characterised by lowered intellectual functioning
If used as a mild cognitive enhancer by otherwise healthy people Piracetam should be normally taken for a course of 4 to 6 weeks, with main effects starting to manifest after 3-4 weeks of supplementation. Piracetam is also very effective for preventing blood clothing issues, increasing longevity and maintaining mental abilities in older patients. It was also found to improve the communication between two hemispheres of the brain. However, most of studies carried on healthy people note a high inter-individual variability in terms of effects and their extent.